INDIA is a land full of wonders. Although, every inch of India is paradise for us. There are 38 sites of India enlisted by the UNESCO as World Heritage Sites. These include 30 cultural sites, 7 natural sites and one mixed-criteria sites. India has the 6th largest number of sites in the world.
What are UNESCO World Heritage Sites?
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has recognized many important cultural and natural heritage as World Heritage Sites. As described in the UNESCO World Heritage Convention, established in 1972. There are total 10 criteria for getting recognized as a world heritage site; those are as follows :
1.Human creative genius.
2.Interchange of values.
3.Testimony to cultural tradition.
4.Significance in human history.
5.Traditional human settlement.
6.Heritage associated with events of universal significance.
7.Natural phenomena or beauty.
8.Major stages of Earth’s history.
9.Significant ecological and biological processes.
10.Significant natural habitat for biodiversity.
INDIA’S WORLD HERITAGE SITES
As mentioned above, there are total 38 sites. The first 2 sites being enlisted was the Agra Fort and the Ajanta Caves in 1983. The latest being enlisted is ‘Pink city of Jaipur’ on 6th July, 2019.
List Of India’s World Heritage Sites
SITE (Year of inscription in UNESCO)[LOCATION]
- AJANTA CAVES(1983 [MAHARASHTRA]
- ELLORA CAVES(1983 [MAHARASHTRA]
- AGRA FORT(1983) [UTTAR PRADESH]
- TAJ MAHAL(1983) [UTTAR PRADESH]
- SUN TEMPLE(1984) [ODISHA]
- MAHABALIPURAM MONUMENTS (1984) [TAMIL NADU]
- KAZIRANGA NATIONAL PARK (1985 )[ASSAM]
- KEOLADEO NATIONAL PARK (1985) [RAJASTHAN]
- MANAS WILDLIFE SANCTUARY(1985) [ASSAM]
- CHURCES AND CONVENTS OF GOA (1986) [GOA]
- MONUMENTS OF KHAJURAHO (1986)[MADHYA PRADESH]
- MONUMENTS OF HAMPI (1986) [KARNATAKA]
- FATEHPUR SIKRI(1986) [UTTAR PRADESH]
- ELEPHANTA CAVES (1987)[ MAHARASHTRA]
- GREAT LIVING CHOLA TEMPLES(1987) [TAMIL NADU]
- PATTADAKAL MONUMENTS(1987) [KARNATAKA]
- SUNDARBANS NATIONAL PARK (1987) [WEST BENGAL]
- NANDA DEVI & VALLEY OF FLOWERS NATINAL PARK(1988) [UTTARAKHAND]
- MONUMENTS OF BUDDHA (1989)[SANCHI, MADHYA PRADESH]
- HUMAYUN’S TOMB (1993) [DELHI]
- QUTUB MINAR AND ITS MONUMENTS (1993) [DELHI]
- MOUNTAIN RAILWAYS OF DARJEELING, KALKA SHIMLA AND NILGIRI (1999) [DARJEELIN G(WEST BENGAL), KALKA SHIMLA (HIMACHAL PRADESH), NILGIRI(TAMIL NADU)]
- MAHABODHI TEMPLE (2002) [BIHAR]
- BHIMBETKA ROCK SHELTERS (2003) [MADHYA PRADESH]
- CHHATRAPATI SHIVAJI TERMINUS (2004) [ MAHARASHTRA]
- CHAMPANER-PAVAGADH ARCHAEOLOGICAL PARK(2004) [GUJARAT]
- RED FORT(2007) [DELHI]
- JANTAR MANTAR(2010) [RAJASTHAN]
- WESTERN GHATS (2012)[MAHARASHTRA, KERALA, TAMIL NADU, KARNATAKA]
- HILL FORTS OF CHITTORGARH, KUMBHALGARH, RANTHAMBORE, GAGRON, AMBER & JAISALMER (2013)[RAJASTHAN]
- RANI KA VAV(2014)[ GUJARAT]
- GREAT HIMALAYAN NATIONAL PARK (2014)[ HIMACHAL PRADESH]
- NALANDA MAHAVIHARA(2016)[ BIHAR]
- KHANGCHENDZONGA NATIONAL PARK(2016) [SIKKIM]
- ARCHITECTURAL WORK OF LE CORBUSIER(2016) [CHANDIGARH]
- THE HISTORIC CITY OF AHMEDABAD(2017) [AHMEDABAD, GUJARAT]
- VICTORIAN GOTHIC AND ART DECO ENSEMBLES (2018) [MUMBAI]
- THE PINK CITY ’JAIPUR’ (2019) [JAIPUR, RAJASTHAN]
Let’s have a little detailed look at some of the sites which you must visited to experience our heritage:
It comprises of the archaeological remains of the ancient learning centre and a Buddhist monastery. Dating back to 3rd century BCE to the 13th century CE. It is considered as the most ancient university of the Indian subcontinent. It includes stupas , shrines and viharas(residential and educational buildings; considered as first of this kind in the world). It was a centre of abundant knowledge for more than 800 years, until destroyed by a mad ruler. It is believed that there were millions of books in the library that it kept on burning for six months or so.
ROCK SHELTERS OF BHIMBETKA
Located in the foothills of Vindhya hills. It comprises of Prehistoric painting on the rock shelters and caves. With some of the paintings are more than 10,000 years old. They unravel many mysteries of Stone age(8700BCE and before) about the Paleolithic and Mesolithic periods.
MOUNTAIN RAILWAYS OF INDIA
The collective three mountain railways of India are a treat for any tourist. They have been stated as outstanding and incredible by the UNESCO. They really are amazing work of engineers in such difficult terrains.
These world heritage sites are treasures not only of India but also for the world. They culturally and historically important sites are also economically important for India. They are major tourist attraction and bring millions of dollars every year.