Paatal Lok non-spoiler review will only tell you about the technical aspects, emotional connects, character developments and story improvements of the show.
PAATAL LOK NON-SPOILER REVIEW
The new web series Paatal Lok on Amazon Prime Video is a dark bloody tale of crime and investigation, which is presented with a very new approach and I liked it.
It in short without giving away too much about the story, here’s what the show has for you. A story of a police inspector who was assigned to investigate the case of a TV journalist who was attempted to assassinate by four individuals.
The whole story revolves around the investigation procedure which is going on and several other surprises. Paatal Lok web series is 9 episodes long with an average run time of 43 minutes.
The series is directed by Avinash Arun and Prosit Roy collectively. The show is created by Sudip Sharma and Bollywood actress Anushka Sharma is one of the co-producer. Now let’s discuss what worked and what not worked in the series according to my viewing experience.
• Need to admit that the choices the creators had taken in the portrayal of the cops in this show is truly commendable. Never seen the police depiction this accurate. Even other characters felt real, just like they are one of us.
• The show was set in New Delhi. So the production designing needs to be very accurate with the use of costume and location according to the timeline. They did a great job in maintaining the minute details in many scenes where we except mistakes.
• Casting was brilliant. No big names in the show, just a bunch of good capable actors doing their jobs. Supporting actors were given equal importance which helped in their character development.
• Stunt choreography is totally awesome. The murder execution scenes felt very real. The aggression in the eyes of the killer will leave you disturbed.
• Make-up and costume department perfectly did their job. Provided characters with the right fitting cloths which made them look like they belong to that place.
• Use of language in the show is one of the most underrated quality of it. The use of Haryanvi accent in several scenes are good. It gives the scenes what it needed to make it feel raw.
• Performances by every character is truly appreciable. Jaideep Ahlawat as Hathi Ram Chaudhary is brilliant with his role. He again showed us his acting range and told us thay he could portray any role brilliantly.
• Neeraj Kabi as Mr Sanjeev Mehra is amazing with his part. Gul Panag, Swastika Mukherjee, Niharika Lyra Dutt were brilliant as the supporting cast. Their presence makes the scene engaging.
• The real finding of this show is Abhishek Banerjee, who played the role of Vishal “Hathoda” Tyagi. After watching him play the character, I learned that Antagonist really don’t need dialogues to convey what they feel. Their actions speaks louder than their words. Another principle character who grabbed my attention is Ishwak Singh as Imran Ansari. His innocence in the scenes provided the scenes, life.
• Writing for the show was good but the editing left it dragging. There are too much subplots in between scenes which eventually divert the story from it’s main motive.
• You will learn about everything in the last two episodes (that’s a spoiler), only if you will decide to watch it till there. The story progression was very slow and the main reason for it was the editing.
ALSO READ: Gulabo Sitabo release date revealed
WILL THERE BE A SECOND SEASON?
The point at which the show ended, it is hard to expect a second season. Only the reviews from the audience will decide the future of the show.
The show was great, true to what it promises. A real investigative thriller, which really showed us the ground reality of our system. Every character did what they were given, only the narration left me little disappointed.