Today Morning, a chemical gas leakage (Styrene) reported at the LG Polymers industry a in the outskirts of Visakhapatnam.
This gas leak claimed, 11 Death including a minor, 300 plus peoples hospitalised and at least 5,000 have fallen sick.
What is Styrene ?
Styrene which is also known as ethenylbenzene, vinylbenzene, and phenylethene, is an organic compound.
It is a colourless to pale yellow oily liquid with a sweet or floral like odour. It has melting point at -30 °C and a boiling point at 145 °C.
It is an important commercial Chemical, used to make plastics, synthetic rubber resins etc. It has been approved for food use in the making of food containers and disposable cups.
The broad use of Styrene products includes construction, packaging, automotive and household goods.
It is flammable in nature and can be ignited by friction, heat, sparks or flames. Its vapour is heavier than air and may travel to considerable distance from source of ignition. Toxic gases and vapour such Carbon Monoxide may be released from fire.
Styrene is regarded as a “known carcinogen“, especially in case of eye contact, but also in case of skin contact.
Carcinogen:- A carcinogen is any substance, radionuclide, or radiation that promotes carcinogenesis, the formation of cancer.
irritation eyes, nose, respiratory system; headache, lassitude (weakness, exhaustion), dizziness, confusion, malaise (vague feeling of discomfort), drowsiness, unsteady gait; narcosis; defatting dermatitis; possible liver injury; reproductive effects, unconsciousness are the symptoms of Styrene if people come in contact with the chemical.