In a country like India where the pollution level is harming thousands, electric vehicles are must for the reduction of that pollution.
Bajaj Auto today unveiled their first electric scooter for the Indian market, under its new electric vehicle division, Urbanite. The new electric two-wheeler will be manufactured at the manufacturer’s Chakan plant and will hit the road from January 2020 starting with Pune, followed by Bengaluru and gradually moving across India.
HISTORY OF CHETAK
The Bajaj Chetak was a popular Indian-made motor scooter produced by the Bajaj Auto company. The Chetak is named after Chetak the legendary horse of Indian warrior Rana Pratap Singh. Chetak was an affordable means of transportation for millions of Indian families for decades and is lovingly called Hamara Bajaj (Our Bajaj).
But the Scooter was discontinued after Rajiv Bajaj son of Rahul Bajaj took over the reins of the company in the year 2006.
Bajaj Chetak was the last scooter to come with gears.
• The new Chetak is powered by an IP67 rated high-tech Lithium-Ion battery with NCA cells, which can be charged using a standard 5-15 amp electrical outlet.
• It will offer a range upto 100 km (city figures).
• The Chetak will come with an Intelligent Battery Management System that will control the charge and discharge seamlessly.
• This electric scooter will come with 2 driving modes – Eco and Sport, along with a reverse assist mode for more convenience.
• The scooter also gets regenerative braking, which converts braking heat into kinetic energy to maximise range.
• The scooter has a curvy profile with a retro design.
• The Chetak branding is only on the front apron and the rear between the tail lights.
• The Chetak has chrome bezel for the headlamp with an LED daytime running lamp ring and LED headlamp.
• The scooter is claimed to get feather touch-activated electronic switches, sequential scrolling LED.
• The scooter comes with a good size seat which is enough to carry two healthy person easily.
• It has large silver grab rails and multispoke alloy wheels.
• Bajaj will launch the Chetak electric scooter in 6 colours.
Detailed specifications of the Electric Scooter is haven’t been revealed yet but it is expected to be priced under 1.5 lacs to offer an attractive deal for the Indians.