The BANARAS HINDU UNIVERSITY ‘S DEPARTMENT OF ANCIENT INDIAN HISTORY , CULTURE & ARCHEOLOGY has discovered a 4000 years old urban settlement at a site in BABHANIYAV , nearly 15KM away from VARANASI.
Experts say that it is one of the Craft villages that has been mentioned in Ancient Hindu Texts . It is
believed that the site has been inhabited since VEDIC PERIOD OR EVEN BEFORE THE VEDIC PERIOD.
- The survey was not done by ASI (Archeological survey of India) as many prominent Universities
including BHU have authority to carry out Surveys and Excavations.
- The Preliminary Survey was done by BHU TEAM at Babhaniyav and it found remnants of one the
settlements mentioned in ancient literature about the holy city of Varanasi.
The team unearthed a 5-meter CULTURAL DEPOSIT like the ones found earlier in Sarnath.
WHAT HAVE BEEN FOUND ?
- An Ancient Temple dating back to the 5th century AD . It is believed to be of that time when first
temples were built in INDIA.
- Potteries which are 4000 years old . The potteries found gave evident indication that the settlement was a craft village .
- Walls have also been found which are around 2000 years old.
- A pillar with a two line text in Kushan Brahmi Script.
On the basis of the materials found the Archeologist can say that the structure is anywhere between 3500- 4000 years old.
SATELLITE TOWN OF KASHI
Satellite town -A town settled around the main City .
- The site gained significance becuase of its nearness to Varanasi.
- KASHI is said to be around 5000 years old according to HINDU MYTHOLOGICAL TEXTS. It is believed that LORD SHIVA established KASHI.
- But Modern Scholars believe it to be around 3000 years old
- Babhaniyav might had grown as a small sub centre of Varanasi .
IS THIS THE FIRST ANCIENT CRAFT VILLAGE FOUND?
- NO Such craft villages have been found earlier in Sarnath, Tilmapur, Ramnagar and other areas. Babhaniyav is an addition to them .
- The BHU TEAM has started detailed Excavation at the site from Febraury 23 onwards.
- The BHU team has also excavated a bulk of ancient settlement sites near Varanasi.
- The images of the Temple and walls have not been released .
Once the excavation will be completed we will get a clearer picture and detailed information about Babhaniyav.