News Sports "I look forward to being back in the US next year," said...

“I look forward to being back in the US next year,” said Ashleigh Barty as she pulls out of the US Open due to COVID 19

Ashleigh Barty pulls out of the US Open
                                     AP : Lee Jin-Man

No 1 Australian tennis player Ashleigh Barty will not be traveling anymore to New York this year to compete in the US Open and the tournament preceding it in New York due to the global pandemic.

The US accounts for more than 4.4 million detected COVID 19 cases out of which there are 150,000 casualties.

The US Open is scheduled to take place from August 31- Sep 13. The 24-year-old Australian had earlier raised concern on hearing the news of US open taking place for which she also got a lot of support. Therefore, it is not a surprise that she has pulled out of the tournament.

The Western and Southern Open, which is held annually in Cincinnati, has been moved to New York this year and is set to start in mid-August.

“My team and I have decided that we won’t be traveling to the … Western & Southern Open and the US Open this year,” Barty said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press on Thursday.

“I love both events so this was a difficult decision, but there are still significant risks involved due to COVID-19 and I don’t feel comfortable putting my team and me in that position.

“I wish the USTA all the best for the tournaments and I look forward to being back in the US next year.”

Also Read : Maria Sharapova Says A Final Goodbye

Barty won the French Open last year by defeating Marketa Vondrousova. The defending champion has cited that she is not sure & will make a decision later on playing the French Open. The Roland Garros is scheduled to take start from Sep 27 after the US Open.

“I will make my decision on the French Open and the surrounding WTA European tournaments in the coming weeks,” she said.

World number one Novak Djokovic and 23-times Grand Slam champion Serena Williams are among players expected to compete at the U.S. Open despite concerns about undergoing mandatory quarantine when traveling to Europe, which would have them miss tournaments in Madrid and Rome ahead of the French Open.

Deaths from COVID-19 surpassed 150,000 in the United States on Wednesday, more than any other country, and nearly a quarter of the world’s total, according to a Reuters tally.

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

Fans trend #BBGOATSidharthShukla, as Colors releases their new Bigg Boss 14 promo

Sidharth Shukla is undeniably one of the most popular Bigg Boss contestants with biggest fandom. It is one year since he won the Bigg...

DAC approves procurement of SAAW, HF radio sets and 72,000 SiG 716 rifles at 2,290 crores for Armed Forces

The Defence Acquisition Council meeting held under the Chairmanship of Defence Minister Rajnath Singh today approved the proposals for procurement of various equipment required...

Indian Govt shown interest in purchasing Embraer’s commercial aircraft division

The Indian government has shown its interest to purchase majority stakes in Embraer’s commercial aircraft division, said a top ranking government official to Business...

Here’s how Rahul Tewatia’s beating to Cottrell created a buzz on social media

Note down the name, Rahul Tewatia ! An astonishing Thriller at Sharjah created a buzz on social media. It can't be a written  script...