With growing years, Cricket is witnessing innovative changes. First, it was the Twenty-twenty format way back in 2006-07, then the T10 league which was introduced in 2017, ‘the hundred‘ which is yet to take place and now the 3 Team Cricket, a new format introduced by Cricket South Africa for a noble cause.
The One-day 3TC Solidarity Cup has been introduced to raise funds for those people in the game who have suffered financially because of the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Since the time Coronavirus Pandemic brought life to a halt, cricket fans in South Africa finally witnessed their favorite players in action under one roof on Saturday. Cricket South Africa’s Solidarity Cup saw the country’s best players divided into three teams take the field at the Supersport Park in Centurion.
In the only match, AB de-Villiers led side Takealot Eagles won the inaugural edition of the 3TC Solidarity Cup with the Gold position, while Tenda Bavuma’s Kites managed silver position.
While the unique nature of the match in itself was enough to get cricket fans curious about what exactly the match had to offer, what got fans talking the most was the return of AB de Villiers’ in the playing field.
De Villiers, who is retired from international cricket but continues to ply his trade in franchise-based T20 tournaments, showed that his class was indeed permanent.
The former Proteas captain scored 61 off 24 balls and the explosive knock had Twitter talking.
— ABde Fans Trends™ (@AbdeFansTrends) July 18, 2020
— Bella Ciao (Chai) (@punjabiii_munda) July 18, 2020
11(7) &61(24) 😅
This is BUSINESS🤙🤙
First 7 ball 11runs😿
Next, 17 balls 50 runs😻 pic.twitter.com/GlWdHRPtm0
— Rejin Raj (@RejinRaj17) July 18, 2020
Back With A Bang 🔥🔥🔥@ABdeVilliers17 61 Runs off Just 24 Balls 🙌❤️
— Äâkásh Çhâúdháry (@acaakashkc) July 18, 2020
Earlier, CSA had postponed the match from its original date of June 27 as the government had not given the necessary approval for training and match-day protocols.
However, the players returned to the nets on Monday and the match finally started on the 102nd anniversary of the birth of former president Nelson Mandela.
WHAT WERE THE RULES OF THE FORMAT
The 3TC Solidarity Cup saw three teams compete in a single 36-over match with each team having 8 players.
24 of South Africa’s top cricketers featured in three teams — Takealot Eagles, Mr D Food Kites and OUTsurance Kingfishers — playing two halves in a single match.
De Villiers lead the Eagles while Reeza Hendricks and Temba Bavuma Captained the Kingfishers and Kites. Kagiso Rabada and Quinton de Kock were originally slated to lead the two teams but they pulled out due to health concerns.
Let’s look at the rules of 3TC Solidarity Cup :-
1. The 36 over game is divided into 6 segments. The three teams get to bat for 12 overs but in 2 halves of 6 each, facing six overs from each of their opponents attack.
2. After 6 overs of batting from each team in the first half, the team with the highest total bats again for the rest of its 6 overs in the 2nd half. Then the second-highest scorer gets a hit followed by the third team.
3. In case of a team losing seven-wicket, the last batter will stand, meaning they stay at the crease after the fall of the seventh wicket and until they are dismissed. If a side is seven-down by the end of the first half of their innings, the last batter resumes in the second half.
The ‘not out’ batsman can continue batting alone but can only score runs in even numbers like two, four, and six.
4. Six fielders are allowed for every innings and the entire ground is divided into 6 zones. Each zone can have only one fielder. The maximum a bowler is allowed is three overs each.
5. If Rain plays spoilsport, the game can only be reduced to 18, 24, or 30 overs.
6. The team with the highest aggregate gets Gold position, the second-most with Silver, and the third one with a bronze.
7. If the scores are level of any two sides, they will compete in a super-over to determine the gold. However, if the scores are level of all the three sides, all will be awarded the gold position. If the second team and third team’s scores are equal, both will be awarded the silver position.
De-Villiers led Eagles won the Gold as they got 66 in their first half of 6 overs and then added 94 second time around.
De-Villiers (61 off 24) put up a century stand with Aiden Markram (70 off 33) to help their side put up a mammoth 160/4 at the end of their 12 overs across two halves of six overs each they faced.
They Bavuma led side scored 138/3 that put them 22 runs behind Eagles and managed to clinch silver. While the OUTsurance Kingfishers managed to score only 113/5.
During the match, all players showed their support towards the ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement as they all wore black armbands, and they took a knee in support of the campaign.
— Cricket South Africa (@OfficialCSA) July 18, 2020